|Date Posted||March 7, 2019|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Special Events Sales Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of event sales from the initial guest contact through securing a deposit. The Manager oversees the solicitation of new business and facilitates in building and maintaining relationships to ensure achievement of annual sales goals for Copia and helps grow sales at both Copia and Greystone.
- Develops and executes an annual program to achieve forecasted sales while providing the highest quality customer service.
- Oversees the operation of the Event sales office utilizing consistent, responsive procedures for all inquiries including a protocol for site visits.
- Manages the Special Events Coordinators and the Special Events Sales Assistant, including but not limited to payroll management, recruitment, staffing, training and development and annual performance appraisals.
- Develops annual performance goals and works with sales team to create goals to enhance customer satisfaction and overall financial performance.
- Oversees the development of all Events Sales materials, and regularly reviews materials to ensure the quality exemplifies the CIA’s standard of excellence.
- Schedules and conducts site visits for prospective clients.
- Efficiently and effectively qualifies event inquiries, including event date(s), space requirements, Food and Beverage and other service or support requirements.
- Oversees the preparation of event proposals responsively and timely to best match client expectations, department capabilities, and established margins.
- Controls space bookings for all Events at Copia.
- Provides financial reporting, including periodic sales reports, forecasting and analysis. Works with the Food and Beverage Director of Copia on all financial planning matters that affect Events. Provides analysis of actual results, including recommendations for improvements and maximization of margins.
- Participates in the development of new products and services.
- Coordinates with internal public relations and marketing departments to promote Events products and services.
- Represents the Events team at local, regional, and national trade shows and maintain membership in key associations in the local area.
- Prepares and executes plans for identifying new markets and clients for Events.
- Coordinates with the Executive Chef on menu planning functions and events.
- Works closely with the Food and Beverage Director on costing of events and defining food and labor costs in order to maintain established margins. Ensures the clear communication of standard and discount rates to all teams.
- Works with the Food and Beverage Director on departmental financial requirements, including forecasting, budgeting, and expense management.
- Works with event execution team to ensure that all events are properly staffed and supervised.
- Coordinates with other key departments at Copia in marketing strategies, cross-marketing of services/products and cost reduction through combined purchases.
- Coordinates with other key departments at Copia, including safety, security, facilities, food and beverage operations, events and the demo theater to ensure a seamless guest experience at the campus.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management, Culinary or Tourism or equivalent work experience in lieu thereof.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a combination of events, and sales and marketing.
- Minimum three (3) year of supervisory experience.
- Five (5) years of experience as a catering / events sales manager in the Napa Valley strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with a variety of food, beverage and service styles and/or programs suitable for corporate, social and charitable events.
- Working knowledge of Catering Software, such as Caterease, Delphi and Triple Seat.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills required. Must have demonstrated ability in organizational, time management, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent event management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to show a high level of service responsiveness to customers.
- Strong knowledge of computers including abilities to work effectively with MS Office Suite products, i.e. Word and Excel.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and conceptual skills.
- Must have a proven, consistent track record showing the ability to work with all levels within an organization.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment and maintain collaborative relationships with all members of the team.
- Broad business savvy, with a solid grasp of financial and operating goals. Must have a track record of achieving measurable success for meeting objectives, managing costs and achieving change.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends when necessary, in order to manage and oversee designated events, as required by business needs.
- Must be able to work at both locations of the CIA California Campus (Copia in Napa, CA and Greystone in St. Helena, CA). Must possess own transportation in order to travel between locations during the work day as required.
- Must be able to travel regularly within the United States as required by business needs.
- Regular work requires a great deal of sitting, standing, lifting, bending and stretching.
- Must be able to stand for eight (8) hours.
- Ability to lift and carry up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work life balance.
Benefits are offered based on the position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan.
- Dental plan, Vision plan.
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans.
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays.
- Employee assistance program.
- Tuition assistance programs.