|Date Posted||June 5, 2019|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Seasonal Farm Worker will assist the Culinary Gardener with daily operations and maintenance of The Culinary Institute of America’s Gardens in St. Helena and at the CIA’s Krug Farm from June through October.
- Understands and applies standard pruning, thinning and harvesting practices.
- Assists with planting as necessary and takes the lead when harvesting fruits, herbs, and vegetables.
- Washes, packs, weighs, labels and delivers farm and garden products.
- Cultivates crops using tilling, hoeing and hand weeding.
- Prepares beds for planting, including but not limited to, removal of debris, broad forking, tilling and shaping beds with a hard rake.
- Assists in basic irrigation repair.
- Understands and practices safe use of simple farm and garden equipment.
- Transplants seedlings in the field.
- Maintains the aesthetic look of Greystone campus trees, plants, and shrubs, pruning of perennial hedges and herbs.
- Operates weed trimmer, mower, and blower to maintain borders, terraces, and grounds.
- Maintains clean and tidy workspace in the garden, greenhouse, pack shed, tool shed, farm office.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required.
Licenses / Certifications:
- Valid Driver's License required.
- Six (6) months collective experience working in the farming, landscaping or agricultural industry.
- Displays exemplary professional demeanor at all times.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Professional interaction with other team members at all times.
- Ability to work efficiently.
- Able to work at any CIA California campus facility, farm or garden due to business needs.
- Regular work requires a great deal of standing, lifting, bending and stretching.
- Must be able to stand for eight (8) hours at a time.
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures hot and cold for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds and up to seventy-five (75) pounds with assistance.