|Date Posted||October 14, 2019|
|Job Type|| Part-time |
The Culinary Institute of America is currently looking for an On-Call Pastry Cook. The On-Call Pastry Cook works with the Pastry Sous Chef on creation, production, final preparation and service of all recipes and products for events, conferences, and parties. This position is responsible for pastry plating during events as well as bread and wedding cake production, as determined by the Pastry Sous Chef while maintaining CIA gold standards for the execution and presentation of all items. The Pastry Cook is offered by the Public Programs, Copia Restaurant, Special Events, CIAC, and our Strategic Initiative Group (SIG).
- Accurate and expeditious production of plated, dessert stations and other types of pastry recipes to CIA gold-standards.
- Efficient baking and pastry production with minimal waste during all phases of recipe preparation, production and service.
- Responsible for bread and wedding cake production.
- Participates in service for events on both the sweet and savory lines.
- Adheres to all food safety guidelines to ensure the safety and security of all food items produced.
- Properly executes all opening and closing procedures.
- Receives purchasing orders and checks for quality control.
- Maintains proper inventory of supplies & ingredients, ordering appropriately.
- Completes all paperwork related to the efficient operation of the department in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintains a clean and organized station, refrigeration, dry stores, and storage areas.
- Assists others in the Special Events Department as needed.
- Works collaboratively and professionally with other departments, chefs and students.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one (1) year of baking and pastry experience in full-service establishment.
Licenses / Certifications
- HACCP or ServSafe Certified, or California Food Handler’s Certificate, or ability to obtain within thirty (30) days from hire date.
- Associate’s Degree from a recognized Culinary Institution or the equivalent in industry experience.
- Background in high volume or fine dining restaurant establishment desired.
- Intermediate baking and pastry skills.
- Experience with wedding cake baking and decorating.
- Experience with bread production.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable, dependable and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Must have a proven, consistent track record showing the ability to work with all levels within an organization.
- Must have demonstrated abilities in organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to read, write, understand, execute and communicate in English.
- Demonstrated ability to show a high level of service responsiveness to customers.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including days, nights, weekends and holidays and overtime as required by business needs.
- Must be able to bend, reach and stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours.
- Must be able to lift and transport a minimum of fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be comfortable working in a temperature variant environment.