|Date Posted||July 29, 2019|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Operations Manager – Public Events CA, is responsible for the operational success of all public-facing events for the CIA at Copia, including but not limited to Annual CIA Events, The CIA Summit for Beverage Professionals, Conversation at Copia Panel Series, CIA Guest Appearances, and Food & Beverage events which will scale from gatherings to large crowds. The Manager collaborates with others to enable guest satisfaction and maintain fiscal success. This position interfaces with a wide variety of departments, therefore effective communication and professionalism are required. Additionally, this role requires autonomous decision-making in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment.
- Works with the Public Programs team to design, develop, and deliver Public Events with exceptional standards of quality while meeting or exceeding financial goals.
- Works closely with the Director of Public Programs to maintain an exciting event schedule for Copia on a calendar year basis well in advance of each event date.
- Manages event design and execution for programs such as Conversations at Copia and The CIA Summit for Beverage Professionals, including but not limited to the identification of talent and program speakers. Tracks and communicates confirmations or delegates task.
- Identifies opportunities and outlines logistics for exciting guest chefs, authors, and/or beverage professionals for engaging public events at Copia.
- Works closely with the Director of Public Programs to develop department budget(s) and performance standards.
- Monitors and forecasts revenues and expenses to ensure department budget goals are met. Reports and tracks event financials to ensure accurate accounting and revenue capture.
- Assesses monthly budget performance reports and makes adjustments as needed in order to achieve fiscal goals.
- Creates titles, copy, and content for Copia public event listings; monitors website for accuracy.
- Maintains operating procedures for all public events categories.
- Works closely with the Marketing team to identify cross-promotion opportunities and provides input on calendar of promotion for events.
- Delegates appropriately the requisition, organization, and maintenance of all supplies needed for Public Events through proper purchasing systems, exercising best practices with regard to cost control, inventory and budget maintenance. Continually improves on the standard of excellence in customer service for all public events.
- Manages direct/indirect report(s) (including payroll management for CIA staff and Independent Contractors), recruitment, staffing, scheduling, and annual performance appraisals.
- Works closely with managers in the Public Programs department to ensure continuity of message, branding, and experience.
- Coordinates with the Audio/Visual staff, ensuring the presentation of professional quality audio/video components which complement the CIA.
- Communicates in a timely manner to all internal and external emails, phone calls and requests.
- Stays abreast of new developments in the wine and beverage, food-service, and hospitality industries to create on-trend programs.
- Develops strategic relationships and proactively networks with potential event partners and sponsors to benefit long term growth of Public Events and the CIA.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in Hospitality Management or a related field, or significant work experience in lieu thereof.
- A minimum of three (3) years of proven track record in events, hospitality, food and beverage, and/or front-of-house training.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Supervisor experience strongly preferred.
- Court of Master Sommeliers (Certified Somm), WSET (Level 2+ preferred), Society of Wine Educators (CSW, CSS, CWE)
- Knowledge of and evidence of ability to provide leadership for the use of technology in the demonstration theater, and for office and management tasks, including proficiency in MS Office suite products, i.e. Excel, Word, Publisher, Visio, Project Planner, PowerPoint.
- Ability to prioritize projects and delegate tasks.
- Evidence of skill in relevant event development and ability to lead the design and revision of events to maintain relevancy and meet changing needs.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and conceptual skills.
- Demonstrated ability to show a high level of service responsiveness to customers.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills required.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Broad business savvy, with a solid grasp of financial and operating goals.
- Regular work requires a great deal of standing, lifting, bending and stretching.
- Must be able to stand for 8 hours.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends as required to meet business needs.
- Flexibility in scheduling: able to work AM & PM, doubles when necessary.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work-life balance.
Benefits are offered based on position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan.
- A dental plan, Vision plan.
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans.
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays.
- Retirement savings plan 403(b) with company contribution.
- Employee assistance program.
- Tuition assistance programs.
- And more!