|Date Posted||June 24, 2019|
|Job Type|| Part-time |
The Culinary Institute of America is currently looking for On-Call Prep Cook. The On-Call Prep Cook is responsible for daily mise en place, recipe preparation, and production for all classes and events offered by the Public Programs, Copia Restaurant, Special Events, CIAC, and our Strategic Initiative Group (SIG). The Prep Cook works as part of the team to ensure exemplary culinary and customer experience for all programs. This position interfaces with a wide variety of departments, therefore effective communication and professionalism with colleagues are required.
- Assists with the accurate and expeditious production of class recipes with strict adherence to all recipe specifications.
- Responsible for efficient production with minimal waste during all phases of recipe mise en place, preparation, production, and service.
- Sets up, provides mise en place, and breaks down for classes in the Hestan Teaching Kitchen and other Public Program areas.
- Produces stocks, sauces, and soups.
- Accurately and expeditiously butchers to include numerous cuts of meats, game, poultry, and fish.
- Picks up and checks in requisitions.
- Performs monthly dry storage inventory and kitchen equipment.
- Performs tasks related to but not limited to; organization of reach-in coolers, a dry stock with proper storage and security and sanitation guidelines.
- Properly packages, stores and secures all food items at all stages of receipt or preparation with relation to temperature, location, labeling, packaging, and all established procedures.
- Assists other team members as needed.
- Maintains proper inventory of equipment and par stock.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of one (1) year of cooking experience in a full-service restaurant, hotel or resort.
Licenses / Certifications
- HACCP or ServSafe Certified, or California Food Handler’s Certificate or ability to obtain within thirty (30) days from the hire date.
- Associate’s Degree from recognized Culinary Institution or the equivalent in industry experience.
- Background in high volume or fine dining restaurant establishment.
- Culinary Institute of America graduates preferred.
- Advanced knife skills.
- Intermediate to advanced level of culinary skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment, and maintain collaborative relationships across departments.
- Ability to read, write, understand, execute and communicate in English.
- Demonstrated ability to show a high level of service responsiveness to customers.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including days, nights, weekends and overtime as required by business needs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach and stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours daily.
- Must be able to lift and transport a minimum of fifty (50) pounds.
- Ability to withstand high ambient temperatures while working in close proximity to cooking equipment.
Benefits are offered based on position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan.
- Dental plan, Vision plan.
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans.
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays.
- Employee assistance program.
- Tuition assistance programs.