|Date Posted||June 24, 2019|
|Job Type|| Part-time |
The Culinary Institute of America is currently looking for On-Call Cook’s for Copia Restaurant, Special Events, CIAC, Public Programs, and our Strategic Initiative Group (SIG). The Cook plays an integral part of our culinary success and is responsible for working in conjunction with the Sous Chef and Executive Chef on all aspects of culinary production.
- Accurate and expeditious production of plated recipes with strict adherence to all recipe specifications.
- Food production and plating for service as directed by Executive Chef and Sous Chef.
- Efficient production with minimal waste during all phases of recipe preparation, production and service.
- Stock, sauce, and soup production.
- Accurate and expeditious butchering to include numerous cuts of meats, game, poultry, and fish.
- Charcuterie production and execution as directed by Chefs, including but not limited to curing and smoking of fish, meats and poultry items, pate, terrine, and sausage production, and marinades, relishes and cold sauces.
- Assist in food preparation including browning, heating and reheating.
- Prepare salad items, garnished and condiments.
- Stock, sauce, soup, vegetable preparation.
- Performing tasks related to but not limited to the organization of reach-in coolers, dry stock with proper storage and security and sanitation guidelines.
- Properly execute all opening and closing procedures as directed by Sous Chef including complete and accurate completion of all paperwork related to the efficient operation of assigned station.
- Proper packaging, storage, and security of all food items at all stages of receipt or preparation with relation to temperature, location, labeling, packaging, and all established procedures.
- Assist other team members as needed or directed by Sous Chef or Executive Chef.
- Maintain proper inventory of station pars on prep list and ordering appropriately.
- Responsibility for monitoring the posted work schedule.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Six-months to one-year cooking experience in a full-service restaurant, hotel or resort.
Licenses / Certifications
- HACCP or ServSafe Certified, or California Food Handler’s Certificate, or ability to obtain within thirty (30) days from date of hire.
- Two (2) year Associates degree from recognized Culinary Institution.
- Background in high volume or fine dining restaurant establishment.
- Advanced knife skills.
- Intermediate to advanced level of culinary skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to read, write, understand, execute and communicate in English.
- Demonstrated ability to show a high level of service responsiveness to customers.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including overtime on days, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to bend, reach and stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours daily.
- Must be able to lift and transport a minimum of fifty (50) pounds.
- Ability to withstand high ambient temperatures while working in close proximity to cooking equipment.
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work-life balance.
Benefits are offered based on position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan.
- Dental plan, Vision plan.
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans.
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays.
- Employee assistance program.
- Tuition assistance programs.