|Date Posted||October 14, 2019|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Lead Line Cook is responsible for preparing and cooking savory menu items and “kitchen desserts” in a short-order environment, consistent with CIA food and beverage standards. This position takes ownership of the Café during service and provides direction to culinary staff as necessary. The Lead Line Cook is responsible to assist in the management of expense budgets for the savory production areas, including but not limited to food and labor costs.
- Collaborates with management in creating seasonal short-order savory and sweet menu items for the café menu and refrigerated display case.
- Develops ideas, recipes, products, and techniques in conjunction with the Chef Instructor and/or Senior Manager – Food & Beverage.
- Cooks and produces food and menu items consistent with CIA quality standards. Performs frequent tastings to ensure excellence in taste, texture, and freshness. Works quickly and efficiently, keeping ticket times to a minimum. Maintains a fully stocked, clean and organized display case with only the freshest of foods.
- Assists in the creation and maintenance of a café cookbook with accurate and fully costed recipes.
- Provides direction to employees and students in the café kitchen. Works to foster a sense of camaraderie and team spirit within the work environment.
- Provides suggestions for the establishment and implementation of systems and SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) that will streamline service and production.
- Maintains impeccably clean and orderly refrigeration and freezers. Maintains a clean, hygienic and orderly workspace. Ensures the proper storage and security of all food items especially as it relates to time, date and temperature. Follows all food safety rules and procedures.
- Creates work orders for any equipment requiring service, repair or maintenance as necessary.
- Assists the Senior Manager in the maintenance of a monthly food cost less than or equal to 30%. Actively works to keep all food waste to a minimum by careful use of ingredients and continual product rotation.
- Maintains and takes a monthly food inventory and orders all food and beverage items using the CIA procurement system.
- Performs daily opening and closing procedures.
- Completes all assigned paperwork in a timely manner.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Two (2) years cooking experience in a food service establishment where at least 80% of menu items are prepared from raw ingredients, or CIA Culinary Arts degree or certificate graduate in lieu thereof.
Licenses / Certifications:
- California Food Handler Card or ability to obtain within thirty (30) days of hire.
- Three to four (3-4) years of line cook experience in a full-service kitchen.
- Culinary Institute of America graduates preferred.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Must be able to write a menu.
- Must be able to write a recipe and explain the methodology.
- Excellent writing skills for internal communications.
- Proficient in MS Office suite products; i.e. Word and Excel.
- Must be able to lead a small group of individuals in the kitchen.
- Ability to stay up to date on trends, new ingredients, and techniques.
- Must be available to work overtime including a flexible schedule including days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to bend, reach and stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours daily.
- Must be able to lift and transport a minimum of thirty (30) pounds.
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry fifty (50) pounds with assistance.
Must be comfortable working in a temperature variant environment.
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work-life balance.
Benefits are offered based on position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan.
- A dental plan, Vision plan.
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans.
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays.
- Retirement savings plan 403(b) with company contribution.
- Employee assistance program.
- Tuition assistance programs.
- And more!