|Date Posted||July 19, 2019|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Conference Cook is responsible for working in conjunction with the SIG Executive Conference Chef and Culinary Lead on all aspects of culinary production for conferences. This position is responsible for providing hands-on culinary production and demonstration assistance as needed across all conferences. The Conference Cook assists the Strategic Initiatives Group (SIG) team with coordination of annual conference and leadership initiative programs that have a range of strategic topics from world cuisines, professionalism, innovation and flavor development to health, wellness and sustainability. These industry leadership programs reach an influential, national audience of executive and other senior-level chefs, foodservice operators, journalists, and other industry decision-makers and opinion leaders. The Conference Cook interfaces with a variety of departments, guest chefs, and clientele, therefore effective communication, professionalism, and hospitality will be required.
- Accurate and expeditious production of recipes with strict adherence to all recipe specifications, ensuring the use of sponsor products as listed in production book and recipes.
- Food production and plating for service as directed by Executive Chef and Culinary Lead.
- Efficient production with minimal waste during all phases of recipe preparation, production and service.
- Sense of urgency and attention to detail during culinary production.
- Thorough understanding and ability to execute standard culinary preparations including but not limited to; sauté, grill, roast, poach, pan frying, and basic sauce, soup, stock, vegetable, salad, garnish and condiment preparation.
- Supports conferences meal service/buffets by ensuring adequate stock of all items.
- Performs tasks related to but not limited to organization of reach-in coolers, dry stock with proper storage and security and sanitation guidelines.
- Proper packaging, storage and security of all food items at all stages of receipt or preparation with relation to temperature, location, labeling, packaging and all established procedures.
- Follows outlined procedures for labeling all products for conference meals, including but not limited to: name of product, meal period it is for, date and proper placement on the tray with other recipes.
- Sets up and breaks down work stations, kitchen and all prep areas.
- Assists with breakdown and storage of all products and equipment at the end of the conference.
- Assists guest chefs with production and demonstration set up.
- Assists other team members as needed or directed by Executive Chef and Culinary Lead.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) to two (2) years of cooking experience in a restaurant/high volume/banquet setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses / Certifications
- HACCP or ServSafe Certified, or California Food Handler’s Certificate, or ability to obtain to obtain within thirty (30) days from hire date.
- Associate’s Degree from a recognized Culinary Institution or equivalent industry experience.
- Background in a fine dining restaurant establishment.
- Advanced knife skills.
- Intermediate to advanced level of culinary skills.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to read, write, understand, execute and communicate in English.
- Demonstrated ability to show a high level of service responsiveness to customers.
- Attention to detail.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment and maintain collaborative relationships.
- Must be able to work at both locations of the CIA California Campus (Copia in Napa, CA and Greystone in St. Helena, CA). Must possess own transportation in order to travel between locations during the work day as required.
- Must be available to work flexible hours, including days, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to bend, reach and stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours daily.
- Must be able to lift and transport a minimum of fifty (50) pounds.
- Ability to withstand high ambient temperatures while working in close proximity of cooking e