|Date Posted||August 1, 2019|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Director – Restaurant Operations, Copia provides operating and strategic leadership for all Copia Restaurant Operations Team Members, specifically, the Copia Restaurant and Private Dining Rooms, the Grove Bar & Outdoor Kitchen, the 3D Marco Polo Private Dining Experience, and Special Events. The Director – Restaurant Operations will direct, administer and coordinate the internal operational activities in accordance with all CIA policies, goals and objectives established by the CIA. The Director – Restaurant Operations will lead and direct the managers of each outlet in all aspects of service, hospitality, food safety, and quality assurance for the team. The Director will work collaboratively with all colleagues to ensure the development and application of gold-standard food and beverage outlets, and experiences congruent with the high standards for the CIA and expectation of guests, leading to positive projected budget surplus.
The Director – Restaurant Operations, Copia is responsible for developing, implementing and managing the operational aspects of the annual budget. The successful candidate will have the ability to quickly and effectively react to the changing needs of a dynamic organization in a results-driven environment. The Director is also responsible for the organizing, developing, implementing and coordinating activities, driving sales, and cost controls related to all the Restaurant operations at Copia. The Director – Restaurant Operations will assist the Copia leadership team in the development of organizational policies and goals that cover all aspects of hospitality operations.
- Leads the restaurant team in collaboratively creating and implementing food and beverage items and menus with an understanding of seasonality, regionality and contemporary taste preferences.
- Drives sales and contains costs, continually refining the Restaurant Operations to maintain bottom-line profitability equal to or greater than annual budgets.
- Develops timely business updates and presents to all levels of management.
- Builds a Restaurant Operations department that identifies, harnesses, cultivates and encourages the unique talents of its team members, fostering diversity and exceptional teamwork. Works with Human Resources to identify and screen new hires, including but not limited to selecting, orienting, training, cultivating and promoting team members to build career paths within the organization.
- Ensures that the Restaurant Operations team and all employees follow all CIA rules as laid out in the CIA handbook, CIA policies and departmental standard operating procedures.
- Oversees the building, training and maintenance of a roster of staff and schedules that includes enough on-call and part-time employees to handle the fluctuating labor needs of all the Restaurant Operations.
- Responsible for the proper practices of the employee payroll and associated payroll duties.
- Oversees Restaurant Operations employee disciplinary processes, ensuring that all progressive discipline is documented and properly maintained. Coaches management team members on providing constructive feedback to employees in a timely manner, and ensures that employee expectations are properly documented and shared with employees.
- Contributes to the implementation of promotional sales programs, public relations and social media with outside agencies and in-house marketing team in order to drive sales, and maintain a positive image and reputation for the CIA and Copia with the public and industry.
- Ensures that staff maintain all equipment and tools are available, inventoried and in excellent condition including china, glass and silver, cooking utensils, equipment and supplies. Reviews the inventory and ordering of dining room supplies, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and linen, ensuring purchases are needed and do not result in stockpiling of goods with special attention to alcoholic beverages. Ensures that all Restaurant Operations purchases are entered into the e-procurement system by assigned staff in a timely manner. Ensures the taking of inventory is accurate and timely.
- Maintains, trains and supervises users of point of sale (POS) system, including updates to pricing and cash handling procedures. Assists in the training of staff on the correct use of the POS system.
- Maintains and supervises Open Table users, including oversight and control of the reservation management system.
- Evaluates, troubleshoots and solves operational problems and opportunities in all outlets and Events.
- Together with staff, maintains the appearance, cleanliness and upkeep of the dining rooms, restrooms, public and private areas.
- Perform annual reviews and development plans for direct reports and review all department reviews. Reviews annual goals and approve goals of all other Copia restaurant employees.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in hospitality or management, or significant work experience in lieu thereof.
- Ten (10) years of progressive experience in food & beverage, five (5) years of which must have been at a managerial level.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a supervisory role, at least two (2) of which must have been in managing a team of managers/supervisors.
- Demonstrated wine, spirit and non-alcoholic beverage service experience.
Licenses / Certifications
- ServSafe / TIPS certified or ability to obtain within 30 days.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Hospitality Management or relevant studies or its equivalent.
- Experience managing multiple food and beverage outlets with a budget in excess of $3-5MM in revenue strongly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of Food and Beverage trends and operations, with an emphasis in farm to table and California / Napa Valley cuisine.
- Excellence in organizational management with experience and ability to manage and develop high-performance service and front of house teams and develop and implement business strategies.
- Deep experience in budgeting and fiscal management.
- Experience leading organizational transformation projects.
- Experience with quality programs and data-driven business evaluation.
- Experience effectively implementing and utilizing information systems that create operational efficiencies and better information is highly valued.
- Good working knowledge of Micros and Open Table, or similar POS / reservation systems, with the ability to program and troubleshoot. Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands with poise.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills required. Must have demonstrated ability in organizational, time management, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Must have a proven, consistent track record showing the ability to work with all levels within an organization.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Broad business savvy, with a solid grasp of financial and operating goals. Must have a track record of achieving measurable success for meeting objectives, managing costs and achieving change.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills required, including the ability to form and mobilize intra-organizational teams to accomplish Educational goals. Must have a history of developing programs to support strategic vision, partnering with stakeholder groups and effective problem solving and negotiation.
- Must have a demonstrated history of improved guest experience with measurable results.
- Demonstrated experience in effective communication that engages guests and employees around a shared vision. Must have an excellent and welcoming presence in front of guests and employees. Strong presentation skills are required.
- Regular work requires repetitive sitting, standing, lifting, bending and stretching.
- Must be able to stand or work at a computer for periods in excess of 8 hours, depending on shift requirements for the day.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. and be able to lift 40 lbs. or more with assistance on occasion.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including days, nights, weekends and holidays, in accordance with business needs.
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work-life balance.
Benefits are offered based on position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan.
- A dental plan, Vision plan.
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans.
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays.
- Retirement savings plan 403(b) with company contribution.
- Employee assistance program.
- Tuition assistance programs.
- And more!