|Date Posted||February 1, 2019|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Dining Services Cook is responsible for assisting the Kitchen Facilities and Dining Services department, students and faculty in maintaining the college’s standards of professionalism, quality food preparation, safety and sanitation. The Dining Services Cook will assist in large and small kitchen equipment management and upkeep in the Teaching Kitchen. This position will assist in inventory and ordering of Teaching Kitchen par products in addition to supplemental Dining Services needs while monitoring the levels of daily food waste within the kitchens. The Dining Services Cook will prepare supplemental hot and cold foods for specific meal periods or day parts; i.e. Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, for students as necessary/scheduled while supervising assistant student cooks.
- Provides superior customer service to our Degree Students, Custom Consulting Clients, Public Programs, and visiting Chefs.
- Communicates daily with students, instructors and co-workers to insure all food and equipment is available.
- Provides accommodations (as approved/appropriate) for health and dietary concerns, food allergies and religious practices of students related to dining.
- Executes supplemental student dining food production, assisting with the coordination, distribution and display of curriculum produced savory and baked goods.
- Participates in the development of supplemental student dining food production menus.
- Assists with the inventory control for all kitchen and bakeshop operating equipment including, but not limited to, cost control, proper storage and care.
- Conducts inventory of and supplements all kitchen and bakeshop food and paper goods operating pars while consciously controlling costs and observing proper storage and care.
- Trains, directs and guides student workers under the direction of the Kitchen Facilities and Dining Services Manager and Assistant Student Dining Manager.
- Helps coordinate the movement of culinary, baking and pastry equipment; large and small, as needed.
- Assists in high volume and high profile Catering events for the Institute, when required.
- Assists with product needs for events including, but not limited to, conferences, weekend boot-camps and sampling and public programs, as needed.
- Places work-orders as needed to Facilities Management for all cleaning and repair needs.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Minimum of one (1) year cooking experience in a professional kitchen and/or hotel.
- AOS Culinary Arts degree or the equivalent combination of education & experience preferred.
- Culinary Institute of America graduate preferred.
- Experience in high volume production cookery.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable, dependable, multi-task and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills required. Must have demonstrated ability in organizational, time management, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Understands how to prioritize work loads
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment, and maintain collaborative relationships with all members of the team.
- Understanding of basic professional cooking fundamentals
- Computer experience with ability to work effectively with MS Office suite products; i.e. Word and Excel.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule of shifts on mornings, nights and weekends as required by business needs.
- Able to bend, stoop or reach as needed.
- Regular work requires a great deal of standing for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for up to eight (8) hours.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry up to thirty (30) pounds.
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds with assistance.
- Ability to withstand high ambient temperatures while working in close proximity of cooking equipment.
Benefits are offered based on the position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan.
- Dental plan, Vision plan.
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans.
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays.
- Employee assistance program.
- Tuition assistance programs.