|Date Posted||July 19, 2019|
|Job Type|| Temporary |
The Culinary Demonstrator has the overall responsibilities of planning, preparing and delivering cooking demonstrations with a high degree of professionalism, presenting to both public and private parties on the campus.
- Plan, prepare and deliver public and private demonstrations at the CIA California Campus locations.
- Follows methods as set out in the distributed recipes to avoid the possibility of confusing attendees.
- Demonstrate culinary techniques that are adopted as professional in standard and, most importantly in accordance with CIA professional culinary demonstrations.
- In collaboration with California Enthusiast team, increase and influence attendance to public cooking demonstrations by ensuring guests receive a fresh and entertaining learning experience.
- Refer to, explain and assist in verbally selling CIA programs in education, wine programs, flavor discovery, career discovery and custom programs as necessary. Pay special attention to minimize references to other competing culinary institutions.
- Plan and execute component and cheese tray setups for Public Wine and Beverage Studies as well as assist with SIG conferences and Special Events staffing requests when applicable.
- Order food and supplies for demonstrations as needed with a focus on preventing waste.
- Ensure that all orders for food and beverage are placed within the correct category to maintain accurate and thorough tracking of costs for programs. Be accountable for food cost relating to Enthusiast programs and stay within guidelines set forth.
- Encourage store sales of equipment that is being used for the current demonstration.
- Work with audio/visual support to present professional looking audio/video compliments to culinary demonstrations. Be trained satisfactorily on the AV systems ensuring you can operate all systems if required to do so.
- Provide written copies of culinary demonstrations (recipes) to public in attendance.
- Ensure that the space for the culinary presentations is maintained in a clean and professional manner.
- Provide culinary support for guest chefs and demonstrators as needed.
- Maintain payroll for student employees using SETA, adhering to all policies disclosed regarding timesheet submission deadlines and accuracy.
- Actively engage in professional development to further your culinary knowledge and demonstration techniques.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum four (4) years of professional culinary experience.
- Familiar with global cuisines, preparation techniques, and associated foods.
- Familiar with the greater Napa Valley region.
- Familiar with volume food service, fine dining, multi-unit, and menu R&D.
- Familiar with the wine and beverage industry.
- Degree in Culinary, Baking and Pastry, or Hospitality related major.
- Culinary Institute of America graduate preferred.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable, dependable and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Outstanding culinary skills.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills required. Must have demonstrated ability in organizational, time management, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Must be computer literate with ability to use Microsoft Suite and PDF files.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends based upon business needs.
- Must be able to work at both locations of the CIA California Campus (Copia in Napa, CA and Greystone in St. Helena, CA). Must possess own transportation in order to travel between locations during the work day as required.
- Regular work requires a great deal of sitting, standing, lifting, bending and stretching.
- Must be able to stand for 8 hours.
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures hot and cold for extended periods.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.