The full time Culinary Gardener is responsible for assisting the Farm Manager in all aspects of vegetable, herb and fruit tree production at The Culinary Institute of America, CA campus. With heavy emphasis on the CIA Student Farm at Charles Krug and the Herb Terrace at Greystone, this includes greenhouse propagation, bed prep, irrigation, harvest, cultivation, and maintenance of the grounds. The best candidates will have excellent communication skills, the ability to work independently, and attention to detail.
- Communicates with farm manager in relation to crop plans, produce orders, supplies, and priorities.
- Cultivates crops: BCS tilling, wheel hoeing, hula hoeing, and hand weeding.
- Harvests, weighs, labels and delivers farm product to various CIA outlets.
- Prepares beds for planting: removal of debris, broad forking, BCS tilling, and shaping beds with hard rake.
- Sets-up and repairs micro-drip and overhead irrigation.
- Propagates seedlings in greenhouse.
- Transplants seedlings in the field.
- Direct seeds crops with seeder.
- Assists in the pruning of perennials including fruit trees, hedges, and herbs.
- Operates weed trimmer to maintain borders, back slopes of terraces.
- Maintains clean and tidy work environments in the greenhouse, pack shed, tool shed, and farm office.
- In absence of Farm Manager, oversees and ensures accurate and timely production.
- Conducts tours for students, CIA Boot Camp attendees, and the general public when necessary.
- Interacts with inquiring CIA Chefs regarding availability and farm product.
- Monitors inventories, and maintains working condition of tools and supplies.
- Understands need to commute to either campus — Greystone in St. Helena or Copia in Napa.
- Abides basic dress code (tucked in collared shirt) and hygiene while inside either campus facility.
- Displays exemplary professional demeanor at all times.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma.
- Minimum 6 months of industry experience within a related field.
- Driver License.
- 2+ years of experience working on farms.
- Experience working on student farms.
- Associates or bachelor’s degree.
- CIA graduate.
- Familiarity with tenants of Organic production.
- Effective written and verbal communication with team members.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Professional interaction with other team members at all times.
- Ability to work efficiently.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry 30 lbs. and occasionally lift and carry 50 lbs. with assistance.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to bend over, crouch, and kneel regularly.
APPLY ONLINE AT