|Date Posted||February 12, 2020|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Culinary Chef Demonstrator – Public Classes, CA has the overall responsibilities of planning, preparing and delivering cooking demonstrations and hands-on classes with a high degree of professionalism, presenting to both public and private parties on the campus.
- Plan, prepare and deliver public and private demonstrations and hands-on classes at the CIA California Campus locations.
- Follows methods as set out in the distributed recipes to avoid the possibility of confusing attendees.
- Demonstrate culinary techniques that are adopted as professional in standard and, most importantly in accordance with CIA professional culinary teachings.
- In collaboration with the California Public Programs team, increase and influence attendance to public cooking programs by ensuring guests receive a fresh and entertaining learning experience.
- Act as an ambassador for the CIA, by explaining and assisting in the understanding of CIA history and other CIA offered programs.
- Assists with curriculum development for 1-day and under programs.
- Order food and supplies for programs, 1-day and under, as needed with a focus on preventing waste.
- Ensure that all orders for food and beverage are placed within the correct category to maintain accurate and thorough tracking of costs for programs. Be accountable for food costs relating to public programs and stay within guidelines set forth.
- Helps maintain accurate inventory records.
- Coordinates and organizes prep lists/MEP planning.
- Encourage store sales of equipment that is being used for the classes.
- Work with audio/visual support to present professional-looking audio/video compliments to programs.
- Ensure that departmental spaces and spaces used for culinary programs are maintained in a clean and professional manner.
- Provide culinary support for guest chefs and demonstrators as needed.
- Provide culinary support as needed for Public Events and Classes, including multi-day programs.
- Actively engage in professional development to further your culinary knowledge and demonstration techniques.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent education.
- Approved Food Handlers Certificate
- Minimum four (4) years of professional culinary experience.
- Familiar with global cuisines, preparation techniques, and associated foods.
- Familiar with the greater Napa Valley region.
- Familiar with volume foodservice, fine dining, multi-unit, and menu R&D.
- Familiar with the wine and beverage industry.
- Culinary Institute of America graduates preferred.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable, dependable and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Outstanding culinary skills.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills required. Must have demonstrated ability in organizational, time management, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Must be computer literate with the ability to use Microsoft Suite and PDF files.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends based upon business needs.
- Must be able to work at both locations of the CIA California Campus (Copia in Napa, CA and Greystone in St. Helena, CA). Must possess own transportation in order to travel between locations during the workday as required.
- Regular work requires a great deal of sitting, standing, lifting, bending and stretching.
- Must be able to stand for eight (8) hours.
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures hot and cold for extended periods.
- Ability to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds.
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work-life balance.
Benefits are offered based on position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan
- Dental plan, Vision plan
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays
- Retirement savings plan 403(b) with company contribution
- Employee assistance program
- Tuition assistance programs
- And more!