|Date Posted||January 27, 2019|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Baking and Pastry Cook for the illy Café is responsible for preparing breads, desserts, baked goods and packaged items for the café, consistent with CIA food and beverage standards.
- Collaborates with management in creating baking and pastry menu items for the café menu and refrigerated display case.
- Bakes and produces food and menu items consistent with CIA quality standards. Performs frequent tastings to ensure excellence in taste, texture and freshness. Works quickly and efficiently, keeping ticket times to a minimum for a la carte desserts.
- Maintains fully stocked, clean and organized display case with only the freshest foods.
- Assists in the creation and maintenance of a café cookbook with accurate and fully costed recipes.
- Maintains impeccably clean and orderly refrigeration and freezers. Maintains a clean, hygienic and orderly workspace. Ensures the proper storage and security of all food items especially as it relates time, date and temperature. Follows all food safety rules and procedures.
- Creates work orders for any equipment requiring service, repair or maintenance as necessary.
- Under the direction of the Senior Manager – Food and Beverage, works towards the maintenance of a monthly food cost less than or equal to twenty-five percent (25%). Actively works to keep all food waste to a minimum by careful use of ingredients and continual product rotation.
- Assists with monthly food inventory as required.
- Performs daily opening and closing procedures.
- Completes all assigned paperwork in a timely manner.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Minimum one (1) year of baking and pastry experience in a foodservice establishment where at least eighty percent (80%) of baking and pastry menu items are prepared from raw ingredients or CIA Baking and Pastry Arts program graduate in lieu thereof.
- California Food Handler Card or ability to obtain within thirty (30) days from date of hire.
- Culinary Institute of America graduate preferred.
- Baking and Pastry commercial food service experience.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to write a menu and recipes and explain methodology.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Excellent writing skills for internal communications.
- Strong computer experience, which must include abilities to work effectively with MS Office suite products, i.e. Word and Excel.
- Ability to stay up to date on trends, new ingredients and techniques.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule of shifts on nights, weekends and holidays including overtime as required due by business needs.
- Must be able to bend, reach and stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours daily.
- Must be able to lift and transport a minimum of thirty (30) pounds.
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry fifty (50) pounds with assistance.
- Must be comfortable working in a temperature variant environment.
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work life balance.
Benefits are offered based on the position type and status. Benefits offered may include:
- Medical and prescription drug plan.
- Dental plan, Vision plan.
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans.
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays
- Employee assistance program.
- Tuition assistance programs.